Gifts The Planet Will Love
Consumerism around the holidays is amplified, but you don't need to get sucked in! Here is a list of low-waste, planet-loving gift ideas that your favorite people will love! No more random dollar store stocking stuffers or cheap jewelry. Think about the people in your life and choose thoughtful gifts that are right for them.
- Research upcoming concerts, plays or seminars in the area. Bonus: You can go too!
- Pick a favorite restaurant, juice shop, local spa, AirBnB, yoga studio, etc, that your person would enjoy!
*Remember, buy online and save the paper/plastic card!
- Buy some cooking or art classes, voice lessons or some other experience they will love!
- Whether it be a cookbook or a novel you know they will love, first see if you can find a used copy or even give them your old one! (Shop Amazon.smile and search for used books!) Include a personalized note to make it even more special.
- Find a print and have it framed or mounted. This can be a pricier gift but you can team up with other family members for a lasting gift the parents will appreciate.
- Shop at your local farmer's market or crafts fair and support local businesses and artisans! Find handmade organic soaps, bowls, local jewelry, fresh spices and tea, and other household goods that are locally made and one of a kind!
- Flowers are often a go-to gift choice, but they use up resources and die so quickly! If you know a plant-lover, skip the flowers and opt for an easy to care for houseplant or succulent! You can choose from an assortment of vases and sizes at your local plant shop or nursery, or even find someone who is moving and selling theirs! I've accumulated many of my plant babies that way :).
Zero Waste Essentials
- Sustainability can be an amazing gift to share! Help a loved one start their journey with some zero-waste essentials such as: bamboo utensils or toothbrush, a glass or metal straw, cloth napkins, mason jars, the hydration handbag, a coffee mug, reusable make-up pads or an assorted combo! (Check out my 'Brands I Love' page for more sustainable brands!)
- What's your craft? Last year I made custom essential oil blends for family members and they were perfect little stocking stuffers. You can experiment making body scrubs, jewelry, ceramics, artwork, candles, or anything else you can think of! Handmade gifts are always appreciated.
Use your creativity! Think about what your family and friends love and get them a gift that will enhance their life, offer relaxation, new skills, or a special something that will last. As the sales flash before you, think hard about the companies you are supporting and the message your purchase is sending to corporations. Shop local, shop less! Please comment below with any ideas I may have missed!